Duo Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Installation Guide
What is MFA and Duo?To top
Enabling MFA dramatically increases cyber security protection. Continue reading to view our MFA installation guide or:
- Find out more about using Duo MFA in the Operations Guide
- Discover the benefits of MFA here: Securing Computer Logons
Setting up your MFA
As part of our service, Jam Cyber will establish your company profile and add all users to the MFA system. All you need to do is download the MFA app to your smartphone and activate your workstation.
Step 1: Duo MFA Smartphone (or tablet) App InstallationTo top
Please follow the steps below to install the DUO Mobile App on your mobile to start using the 2-Step Authentication System.
- Install DUO Mobile security App from your App Store (Google Play Store or Apple Store depending on your mobile phone) Search for DUO Mobile in your App Store and install it.
- 2. Once you have installed the App on the phone, you are ready to contact us and schedule an appointment to activate DUO Security on your Work Computer. During the activation process you will get a text message similar to the picture below. Simply tap on the link on your mobile and open it in the DUO Mobile App, this will activate your DUO Account.
3. Please note, you may also receive a pop up notification from your mobile advising DUO Mobile would like to ‘Send you Notifications’, please make sure you allow it. The message looks like the image below (it may look slightly different on Android based mobiles)
Step 2: Duo MFA Workstation ActivationTo top
During the workstation activation stage, our tech will guide you through the process, however it is still helpful to read through the steps below so you are prepared during the setup process.
2.1. First Time Activation
To begin the process, you can either log out and log back on to your computer, OR you can lock your computer and log back in. Follow your standard password process to log back in. After you log back in, you should see a Duo Security Screen pop-up:
When this screen pops up, open your Duo MFA App on your smartphone or tablet.
The App should display a notification stating, ‘Request waiting. Tap to respond…’ Tap this request and then, when prompted, simply click ‘Approve’.
From here, your computer and App will be connected. This quick 2-step process will become your standard login process. However, as you are logging in for the first time, you just need to set up your Offline Login in case you need to log in without internet.
2.2. Set Up Offline Activation
Once you have successfully logged in for the first time, you will get a new pop-up prompting Offline Activation. On the pop-up window, make sure you have Duo Mobile Passcode checked and then click on ‘Activate Now’.
Next, you will then see a QR code appear in the pop-up box. Open your DUO App, press the ‘+’ sign on the top right corner and scan this QR code. At this point, your account details will appear in your DUO App and you can change update/change your details if you wish. The final step is to confirm the connection with a once-off 6-digit code. Please click on the ‘Enter Offline Code’ button on your computer screen.
Now in the DUO MFA App you will see the account you have just added and a six-digit code. Simply enter this code on the screen and it will complete your set up.
If you have any issues during the setup, please feel free to contact us for assistance.